Apr 9, 2010

Celebrating Treason


Imagine the outrage if Japan made December 7th a national holiday complete with parades and reenactments of Pearl Harbor and the Bataan Death March.  There is a wing at ADX Florence (the U.S. Government’s super max prison) reserved for those who commit treason.   In my mind to be stabbed in the back by one’s own countryman is more heinous than some foreign whack job trying to set shoes afire on a loaded airplane. 

Yet disdain for treason seems to escape the governor of Virginia who declared April “Confederate History Month”.  Supporters are quick to claim that this is nothing more than a celebration of history and heritage.  To that I say “bull hockey” (no offense to my Canadian friends).  If the mayor of Berlin declared September to be Nazi Heritage month complete with displays of the Swastika he would be arrested and thrown into jail.  In this day and age when tea monkeys are complaining about imagined capitulation to America’s enemies why would anyone want to admire and memorialize any movement especially a home grown one dedicated to slavery and destruction of the republic?  I think I know the answer to my own question but the thought of “going there” is making me sick.

No comments: